fentonvets-logo-01
Haverfordwest:
Small Animals: 01437 762806
Farm Animals: 01437 762511
Pembroke Dock:
Vets & Groomers: 01646 622010
24 Hour Emergency Service
facebook-01 twitter-01 linkedin

What Not to Give your Pets at Christmas

 

Christmas is a very exciting time everyone, including our pets!

There is often lots of delicious food lying around the house and

it is important that we are all aware of the items that could be

toxic to our four-legged friends.

Keep your pets safe this Christmas with this useful guide:

Chocolate– can cause toxicity to the muscles, heart and kidneys.

Raisins, sultanas, grapes and currants– can all cause kidney failure if ingested. Remember mince pies and Christmas cake both contain these.

Macadamia nuts – can cause weakness, diarrhoea, vomiting and wobbliness

Onions– can cause stomach upset and anaemia, this can be extremely serious. Remember stuffing, sausages and gravy all have onions in them.

Alcohol– vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation, depression, wobbliness.

Bones– can cause gut blockage, don’t be tempted to feed your pets any meat bones.

Artificial sweeteners– xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many different sweets, it can cause low blood sugar which in the worst case scenario lead to a  coma.

Mouldy foods– mouldy foods affect the nervous system, they can cause seizures. Old food recycling and the juice that comes from it is especially dangerous.

Christmas Treespine needles are irritant and can cause damage to the intestines if eaten.

Salt dough decorations– salt poisoning causes severe dehydration and can lead to neurological problems

Batteries– can cause external or internal burns if the battery contents leak. They can also cause chemical toxicity if swallowed.

Try to make sure everyone in the household is aware of these toxins and keep all dangers out of reach.

If you are worried your pet may have eaten anything toxic over the festive period (or any other time!) then please get in touch. Harmful effects are much less likely if your pet is seen and treated quickly after ingesting a toxin.

 

Animal Poison Line (24 hours): 01202 509000 (information on whether it is necessary to see your vet)

Fenton Vets (OOH emergency service 24hours): 01437 762806

 

Fran Neve