Animals are notorious for eating things they shouldn’t. Just because it is good for us, it does not mean it’s good for them!
You may not know for example that onions, grapes, raisins and chewing gum are all very toxic to pets.
Other common poisons would include insecticides, mouse and slug bait, chocolate and human painkilling tablets.
What to do in an Emergency
♦ Firstly, stay calm. You will help your pet by giving us thorough and accurate information and being able to follow our advice.
♦ If your pet has the substance on his or her coat or paws, wash the substance off as best you can and dry thoroughly.
♦ Phone the practice on 01437 762806. This number is available for emergencies 24 hours a day.
♦ Do not attempt to make your pet vomit without seeking advice first. It is sometimes more dangerous to make the animal vomit if the substance is corrosive.
♦ RETAIN ANY PACKAGING, along with remaining plant material and food, as we may need to identify the poison.
We work with the Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS). In some cases of poisoning, the vet may need to consult with them before treating your pet.
The VPIS is a 24 hour service, so you can contact them directly if you do not feel your pet needs to be seen right away.